.658 5th gear set for Volkswagen 02A and 02J transmissions. Set includes large gear, small gear, and spring plate for the small gear.
All North American TDI's from 1996 through 2003 came with a .756 5th gear set. The .658 gearset drops RPMs in 5th gear by 13%.
The .658 gearset will work with the NA BEW motored MK4 PD vehicles but cruise control functionality may be lost. This gearset will work in a MKV Jetta TDI with no issues.
The proper small spring plate is included so no modification of current spring plates is needed.
The .658 5th gear is an awesome upgrade to any TDI. Recommended for those who drive consistently over 75 MPH, the .658 will drop RPMs by approximately 600 over the stock 5th gear, depending on wheel and tire sizes. You may lose cruise control, but that can be restored with an ECU tune.
Pulling the gears is VERY easy! Don't sweat the puller instead you are supposed to heat the gear using an electric heat gun to 100C, the gear(s) slide right off!
If you try to pull the gear without heating it you will crack it nearly every time.
Same thing goes for reinstalling, heat it to 100C and it slide right onto the shaft.
This exact same kit is sold elsewhere for $399 and up
- Golf TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ ALH Engine (1999-2003)
- Golf TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)
- Jetta TDI MkIII (A3 chassis) w/ AHU Engine (1997-1999)
- Jetta TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ ALH Engine (1999-2003)
- Jetta TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2005)
- Jetta TDI MkV (A5 chassis) w/ 1.9 BRM Engine (2005-2006)
- Jetta Wagon TDI (A4 chassis) w/ ALH Engine (2002-2003)
- Jetta Wagon TDI (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)
- New Beetle TDI (A4 chassis) w/ ALH Engine (1998-2003)
- New Beetle TDI (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)
- Passat TDI (B4 chassis) w/ AHU/1Z Engine (1996-1997)